Sunday, September 16, 2007

Next up: The Panopticon


We got the gates installed. Alice actually loves them as they are a tool for pulling herself up. Handy Bill came over to install them and it took FOUR HOURS. To install TWO gates. We didn't even do the bottom of the stairs ones. And guess what. The minute we got gates, Miss Alice decided she could climb stairs. She climbed 5 stairs trying to get to Dada, who was helping Bill. She then started climbing again tonight on her own, with no goal other than the stairs were there to be climbed. (Or maybe she has a goal--who am I to presume what does or doesn't go on in her head.)

I am so far behind on posting. The new job is going well, and Alice really seems to enjoy her daycare. She gives them big smiles when I take her in and doesn't cry when I hand her over--what more can I ask for??? Tom and I have been taking advantage of the lovely Fall weather and he and Alice meet me on the front steps of the library and we walk home. I haven't taken many pictures lately. Mainly we are surviving. I am still woefully behind on thank you notes, email, scrapbooking Alice's Lifebook. My mom made my Halloween costumes growing up. I think people were made of stronger stuff before. I am lucky if I can put together outfits for Alice and I to wear the next day, make our lunches, pick up a bit while Tom does the massive pile of dishes and MAYBE once a week I can update the blog.

I wish I knew of a service that would print the blog as pictures and text for Alice's Lifebook. Any ideas?

In other Alice news, she is finally cutting her other front tooth, so it looks like she won't be a vampire or Halloween this year. The most adorable thing she does as of the week is nodding yes. I will try and get it on video. Everyone says to enjoy every moment because they change so fast. So true, with the additional admonition to document every moment, as they are so fleeting. Alice used to say Brrrrrr when getting out of the bath and I missed recording that. It just stopped one day. I tried to get her and Tom doing their raspberry fest on camera, but she wouldn't perform on cue. I know there are a couple of other things I have missed capturing. Everyday is such a delight. I hope this blog captures that at least for when she reads it in the future. Printed. In her Lifebook.

1 comment:

Brian Hinshaw said...

It is more important to experience than to document. Or do the dishes.

As for a scrapbook idea -- I would think that you could save each web page created for you in a (electronic) folder, then burn to a CD, then print from a fancy color printer whenever time provides. Or maintain faith that all of this internet stuff is more permanent than it seems, meaning you have Sparky pages for millennia...