Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Quilt arrives!



In the final box that my mom wanted opened, the one Alice went to first, was the quilt. When Tom and I went on our visit trip to Guatemala in December of 2006 and met 2.5 month old Mayra for the first time, we went to Antigua for the day and I bought these beautiful quilt squares at an artisans cooperative called Nim Pot. My mom had offered to have a quilt made for Alice by her friend Marylee, who also made a quilt for Tom and I when we married (a quilt my mom had started many many many years before). I was so happy to know Marylee would make Alice a quilt and agonized over the design. I didn't want an eye spy quilt . . . I wanted something fun but artsy. Not being a quilter though, I had trouble figuring out what it was I was looking for. I went to the library (of course) and looked at books and books of quilts, and nothing really struck me. Then, in Antigua, after we had to give Mayra back to her foster mother for we had no idea how long, I found these intricate applique animal squares and knew that I had found her quilt. I also found a Guatemalan flag that Marylee sewed to the back.

I also found this embroidered cat fabric that one of Marylee's friends turned into a pillow! She used some of the woven fabric from the hanging loops for the back. That fabric was originally a long piece that women use as a belt.

It was so nice to be with family for the Holidays. Thanks everyone, for the gifts of your time, and space, and delicious meals, and love.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Christmas was so special with our whole family in Tampa and with our Alice with us. She is so precious to me.

Anonymous said...

That quilt is gorgeous!

Let's get together soon!