I don't have any pictures, having forgotten the camera. We went to the Berkeley School of Music Jazz Festival. Tom stood in line for lemonade for us for a loooooong time and missed the group Alice and I were listening to, and when he got back of course she started melting down. It was a student group and the arrangements weren't really to my taste so I know he didn't miss much. We walked around for a while and then listened to another group that was the real deal. Alice bepopped along to the music. She dances by shaking her head back and forth no--it is very cute. (and since no camera, no video) It was gorgeous weather. Our friend Julie works at the College and she invited us. It was great to see her and Zou and Anna. Tomorrow is Alice's party with friends . . . our friends. We got a pinata, but unless the adults have a lot of workplace agression they need to deal with before Monday, I think we might just save it for next year. (We thought more kids were coming, but they all have parties for their friends this weekend and were double booked, so just mostly adults and newborns will be celebrating with us).
The party was Tom's idea, wanting to celebrate. I was being kindof Grinchy and felt the family party was plenty. Well, how could I say no? However, last week I felt like I was ending up doing all the work. And I already meet myself coming AND going trying to keep all the balls in the air. Tom and I agreed to serve pizza and cupcakes at the party--purchased ready to eat! My mom made AMAZING cakes for my sister and I growing up, and so I definitely have some residual guilt about what it means to be a 'good mother.' I think basically, this year at least, I am not that interested in baking dozens of cupcakes. Having said that though, I think my mom is amazing for not only doing it, but getting so excited about it. She decorated Alice's birthday cake this year, which my sister made, and my mom put so much thought into the decorations, and it showed because Alice immediately knew that cake was HERS. And it was perfect. Maybe I have been in management for too long--find the best people for the job. It just happened to be my mom and sister. I will have to give them bonus love this Holiday season!!! I think when it interests me to make a birthday cake for Alice is when she and I are doing it together, because that is what I remember best: making gingerbread houses or sugar eggs or cookies or cakes WITH my mom. Those are the best memories. I could get into passing on that tradition.
Ok, that was a big digression from the story I meant to tell: I was on the phone ordering the cupcakes and after I hung up something possessed me to go check the Evite. Well, I had ordered the cupcakes for Saturday. The party is Sunday. I called them back to change the order. THAT is why someone else needs to be making the cupcakes!!! In conclusion, my darling husband bought candy for the pinata and is off now getting all the paper products and drinks. Isn't he awesome!
As a side note to friends reading the blog from other states who used to live here: it is very strange being someplace where I might have run into you and having to be confronted with the fact that you don't actually live here anymore. Move Back!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment