Alice and I went to Florida for a week in August in order to give Tom a writing retreat. This was after he had been practically a single dad to a leadership institute I went to at Harvard. So I was around, but not really available. So the timing seemed good to give him some time. Unfortunately, because of the institute timing, I missed my high school reunion. However, my good friend Mike stayed in town long enough to see us once we arrived and meet Alice.
(There was another reunion of friends from Emerson between the institute and the trip to Florida, but sadly those pictures are on my phone and I have yet to get them off. Sorry, Brian!)
My mom had started school, so my dad and I took Alice to the Aquarium. That was an interesting experience, as I think I expected her to hit the ground running there. Instead she was very clingy and tantrum-y. Finally, we went outside to the waterpark and bought her a swim diaper. She had a blast playing in the spray. We ended up sitting next to a Latina mom with her kids, and we chatted. She shared with me that she was adopted, and was so incredibly generous sharing her experience. She was so happy, and felt she had a good life. My eyes are stinging with tears even as I type this, as I was so touched by her kindness to share her story with me. It is what every parent wants to hear, that their children are happy with their life. I found it very reassuring.
After playing in the water, we got lunch. Alice was in a much better mood, so we went through the aquarium again and this time had a blast. Good lesson for me to not expect too much of her, and to take things slow.
We called Dada every chance we got, and Alice loved telling him about her trip.
Another friend from my high school (and Peggy's sister in law) came by with her daughter Maddie. It was funny, because Maddie was completely uninterested Alice, and Alice was totally captivated by Maddie. When Maddie is around older kids, of course the roles are reversed!
SO tired!
We had a great time in Florida, and somehow, I managed to not get a single picture of Alice with her grandparents. I really need to get better about that!
BTW, after several night of her going down easy, I am listening to her scream again.. . as Alice would say, What happened?
No comments:
Post a Comment