Alice did great at Amy's daycare today. The place we found is in a home, and, and several of the assistants are women from Guatemala. Alice gets to go for 7 hours a week spread over three days in order to get used to the idea. After today, her first day, I realize this may be more for ME to get used to the idea. We had been there twice before to visit. This time when we arrived, I put Alice on the floor with Alicia and some of the other kids. She intently watched everyone playing. I went to say goodbye, and asked her if she was playing with toys and she smiled so big. I left. Three hours later, I came back to find out she played the whole time, loved hanging out with the other kids, and never cried. Liliana brought her to the door, and at first I am not sure she recognized me through the glass with my hat on. But once inside, hat off, she did her happy flap in Lilliana's arms. She doesn't reach for us yet--that is a milestone I look forward to, but at the same time I want her to feel safe being independent. She really seemed to have a blast, which was wonderful. Of course, now a small part of me is worried that it means she hasn't attached to us. (There is an attachment disorder where kids go to anyone). But then I remember the times when family were visiting recently when only Mama or Dada would do, and I am so glad she feels secure at Amy's. I really hope she can keep her Spanish, and have asked they speak it to her as much as possible (which they say they do anyway). All in all, very good.
Now, I am sure this is the result of her being in daycare: Miss Alice fed herself three blueberry pieces tonight. Although it feels incredibly strange to have her in dayce before I go back to work, even for only 7 hours a week, I know it will be good not only as a transition but also to help her with her developmental milestones. I am sure watching the other kids eat snack today inspired her to figure out how to get the food off her tray and into her mouth! What will be next, I wonder?
So, what was I doing this afternoon? Well, this weekend I had a flare-up with my back problem, which seems to be a disc problem. My chiropracter recommended Conservative Care. This treatment seems to involve yoga, massage, hot tubs, and shoe shopping. Who am I to argue with a professional? So I went and got some shoes.
Finally, by request:

No babies were harmed in the taking of this photo. I (and apparently others) have noticed how Alice is always happy. I don't selectively publish the good photos--we are just very very lucky. This one . . . well, let's just say: "There were three in the bed and the little one said 'Roll over, Roll Over' . . ."
1 comment:
Sounds like daycare went well.
Alice is just so beautiful, even when crying. So nice to see you guys home!!!!
Post a Comment