Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thank goodness for the NYT

We went out for a walk around the neighborhood on Saturday afternoon as we began our unofficial house hunt. On the way down the block, we ran into our neighbors who have an 8th grade daughter named Diana . . . also adopted from Guatemala! We stopped to chat as we always do, and quickly revealed our ignorance of local events. Apparently Boston has a baseball team (that's the game with the diamond and the small white ball) and this weekend they were about to find out if they would make it to the World Series of Baseball (although as far as I can tell, only US teams play in this series so that is kind of confusing). The World Series of Baseball is a series of games . . . anyway, we were chastised roundly for our ignorance. Tom actually knew the Red Sox wre playing the team from Denver, at which he was immediately accused of simply having read the NYT and not being a true fan. I was impressed by his knowledge, but caught red-handed he was! (What does that mean, btw? I'll have to look that up). So, we continued on our walk, stopping for a muffin and crepe sustenance (at a crepe place that used to be a great cafe . . . so sad). We walked at the way to the river, and as we got closer, realized the we were salmon swimming against the spawning stream: massive amounts of people were leaving the river as we were making our way there. Apparently there was a boat race that we missed.

Our big success of the weekend was meeting up with new friends on Sunday. Julie and Ally. Ally is about 6 week younger than Alice, so I am so excited to know someone so close to Alice's age!!! I really like Julie, so I am hoping we can stay in touch and keep having our playdates!

Finally, on Sunday morning, upon waking, Tom quickly alerted me to the fact the Red Sox will indeed will be going to the world series. He has continued to follow the story in the NYT and keeps me apprised so that we can hopefully avoid some agregious social blunders during this time of baseball fever. Those of you who know us . . . Wish Us Luck!!!


Dada readies a muffin bite while Alice checks out the menu in anticiaption of more teeth coming in soon (there has been a lot of drooling and chewing lately).


The blueberry pancakes I made this weekend. I was so proud of myself! Five months in I finally feel I am getting the hang of this thing called parenthood (I hope I didn't just jinx us!!!).


Alice shows off her patience during the pancake prep AND her ability to feed herself grapes.


Alice and Ally in tandem play mode.


Not exactly sure what is being required of them . . . they were happy banging Ally's cups together until I confused thing by moving them into photo op position.



Alice reassures Ally that I am harmless.

4 comments:

Instructor Adam Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love the return of the hair fountain!

Brian Hinshaw said...

As I recall, the Boston area baseball team is referred to verbally as "the sawx," as in "The sawx pulled out a wickid squeakah innat second game..."

Hope this helps.

Instructor Adam Johnson said...

Okay, my new comment has the appropriate reverence for the world champion Red Socks. I was being snarky, but they pulled it off.

And I forgot to say good lookin pancakes!

adam