Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Papa to the rescue

So it is 10:41pm and my Dad is upstairs putting Alice to bed. We recently succumbed to walking her to sleep in the ergo (10 minutes vs. 1+ hours of crib+rocker). She went down easy-peasy tonight, but woke up 40 minutes later thinking it was a nap. Over an hour later of Tom and I trying to get her back down, Papa to the rescue!

It still took him another 40 minutes to get her down, but what was most interesting to me was the difference I heard in the voice he used with her and the voice I use with her. My voice tends to be responding emotionally to her crying, soothing her as if she were hurt. My Dad's voice was very calm, gentle, and matter of fact. His words were that crying wasn't going to help her get to sleep, she needed to calm down to get to sleeping, getting to sleep would help her feel better. And his voice conveyed this very calmly and in a matter of fact manner.

He also noticed that at dinner, she was yelling for us to get her food faster, and suggested that we calmly explain the steps we are taking to get ready (now I am going to the fridge, etc . . .)

Super Nanny is here! I'll let you know how good we can follow directions tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor things. :( I hope everyone's feeling better soon.

Julie P said...

Is everything ok? Its been a while since your last post and I wanted to check in and make sure you, Alice & Tim are doing well.

Julie P said...

Whoops - typo on your hubby's name sorry about that Tom!