Friday, August 08, 2008

The coldest winter I ever spent . . .

was a summer in San Francisco. --Samuel Clemens, though I haven't bothered to verify (bad librarian!).

This is (hopefully) going to be a super-long post that will hold Mc2 fans for the next week. Alice and I are headed to see Maemae and Papa, affording Dada a well deserved writing retreat week here at home. I have been at a conference here in town, and Tom is now officially the fun parent. On Sunday when the conference began, Tom and Alice went to the Aquarium. On Monday on their way home from daycare they stopped by the park. On Tuesday it was National Night Out so they essentially went to a fair and rode rides, petted horses, ate hotdogs and admired rescue vehicles. He also got Alice a fire rescuers hat. Need I say more? The fun parent award goes to . . . Tom! In the meantime, Alice is talking up a storm!!! I hope to get some video soon. I missed them so much this week. My sessions ran from 8am till . . . late if you include Team meetings, networking, and huddling in my office trying to get through the next day's readings. It was a terrific experience, but oh how I missed my people. So I am way behind in the blog, and will try over the next couple of days to catch up. Wih=sh me luck.



After leaving our friends at Stanford, we picked up Sam and Tillie and headed to San Francisco where Tom went to a reading of a former student/Knight Fellow while Alice and I hung out with Miss Becca. This action all took place at the Ferry Market Building, and we were outside admiring the view. All of a sudden, Alice realized she could see Tom through the book store window, where he sat in the front row. She proceeded to flirt with him, standing behind the glass directly behind Mary as she Q&A'd . . . Tom stayed composed, and sent her into fits of giggles by waving his pinky at her. It was very cute.



By the time we returned home, Miss A was fast asleep, which afforded Miss Stephanie a snuggle. Alice was calling Stephanie "?? Mama" while we were there, and it took me a while to figure out what she was saying. I finally realized she was calling Steph Otro Mama . . . other Mama. I love it that Alice saw Steph as another Mama in her life!



Since Alice had switched to West coast time while in Anaheim (after having woken us all up at 4am several days in a row!) she was generally up by 6 or 7am and ready for breakfast. I had a blast having all four kids with me in the morning and felt like I was able to give back a bit to the J-H generosity by making sure all the other adults could sleep in!



Soon enough though, Steph would marshall the troops and we were off to the beach!



Alice thought it was pretty cool to be sitting next to Justy with the big kids in the back seat. Tom drew the short straw and got driving duty which Steph and I GREATLY appreciated!



We headed to Half Moon Bay to one of my favorite accessible beaches.



Alice contemplated her next move.



Definitely over there.



Justy as a mermaid.



James as a sea monster, replete with teeth.



I somehow did not get a single picture of my special friend Jupey at the beach. Jupey and I spent a lot of time together when she was a baby in Palo Alto, and she in turn was so sweet with Alice. Here is a great photo of Alice and Dada. If I had a bathing suit as cute as Alice's there might be a photo posted on here of me too!



Having fun is hard work! After the beach we stopped for fish tacos and picked up some food for dinner.




Tom thinks it is strange that I tend to snap pictures of him while he is driving. What can I say, when married to such a handsome man, how can I resist capturing the moment???



I'm tired now too, and am going to join her. Nite nite. More soon . . .

No comments: