Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Boom!

So, my sister and brother and law blew in and out of town. They stayed the night and made dinner and I got to see them for three hours before sleep caught up with us and we were all off to bed. The got to see Alice for about an hour but of course I forgot to take a picture.

Next the hard drive crashed on the computer. I'll take it in to see what can be recovered hopefully this week. Aargh. But we probably are looking at buying a new computer.

Which comes at a not so good time as we are actually in the throes of buying a house--we close on Halloween--and applying for pre-schools. While we are happy with the family daycare where Alice is now, we do want a preschool environment for her next year. We have been on waiting lists at three different places for two years now with no luck. So we are going all out for next year, and have started applying now. I have a spreadsheet and a google map--this is serious business. And I am not even talking about getting her into "the best" preschool, we just want her to go somewhere . . . somewhere decent of course, but everyone has waiting lists. Why hasn't the market realized there is a vacuum? Well, today it dawned on me that if we apply to all the schools we can actually afford--there are several that are over $2k per month that ar by default out of the running--we would be spending close to $1K in non-refundable applications fees.

Aaarrggghh.

Add to that Alice is teething her 2yo molars. Every minute she has a finger in her mouth as she tried to gnaw those teeth into existence. Last night/this morning she slept from 8-9pm and 1-5am and 6-8am. Needless to say, ack!

All this is to say, we are alive and well, I am taking pictures, I am hoping all the birthday video is not lost forever so I can get it posted, and send as many 'hang in there" thoughts our way as you can spare!

In the meantime:

Alice has taken to saying "Superman" and she says it like so: SU-per-maaaaaaan. It is so cute. When we were at the store today, she even recognized Spiderman was a superhero and called him Superman. I am assuming she is learning this at daycare, and not from Tom. I have been trying to get her to say Supergirl, with moderate success.

I will gladly take superheroes over princesses. Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have something for you and Alice: http://www.mommytrackd.com/bookshelf/amazon?id=5 The Anti-Princess reading list.
enjoy!

Brian Hinshaw said...

SU-per-maaaaan is actually the correct and preferred pronounciation. You're supposed to say it like the three-dimensional title spreading across the page.

"Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... SU-per-maaan!!!"

Tell Alice that her friend Brian is extremely proud of her, and that Sam and Caleb are Superfans too.

Stanford Library said...

hang in there