Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Identity vs. Activity

Alice understands activities, and I am starting to tread into the territory of identity with her in conversation. For example, when she sees my tennis shoes she says "Mama run!" This is because for about 2 weeks this Summer I went for a job in the morning before work. She still remembers.

When Papa was visiting, she wanted to know where Maemae was, because Maemae and Papa go together. Teaching, I told her. She also knows that Dada teaches. One day, several weeks ago, she and I were on the way to the grocery store. I tried to call my folks but no one answered. Alice asked me where Papa was, and I told her he was probably at the gym. Gym? she asked me. Yes, Papa goes to the gym and runs. Papa, run? Papa, gym, run? We went over the scenario several times till she had it down cold. And here is tonight's resulting conversation on the way home:

A: Where's Dada?
M: Dada's teaching.
A: Dada teaching.
M: Yes, Dada's teaching.
A: Maemae teaching.
M: Yes, Maemae teaches, too. Maemae and Dada are teachers.
A: Alice teaches.
M: Do you want to be a teacher?
A: Yeah!
M: Ok. You'll get to go to school and learn lots of things so you can teach other people.
A: Papa teaches.
M: Hmmmmm. I don't think Papa was ever a teacher. Papa . . . . Papa is retired.
A: Papa tired?
M: Papa is retired . . . (Mama is struggling here with how to explain the concept, but as you will see, needn't have worried).
A: Papa gym.
M: Yes! Papa goes to the gym.
A: Papa run.
M: Yes, Papa runs at the gym.
A: Papa lunch.
M: Yes . . . Papa eats lunch . . .
A: Papa nap!
M: Well, yes, that pretty much sums up retirement. Good job, Alice!

In other news, she had her two year check-up today and she grew! Granted, she is only 23 pounds and dropped in the percentile range from where she was last time, but she did grow. I am not worried about the drop, because part of the growing just happened. She is now inching out of her size 18 month clothing. We talked to the Dr. about her sleep (or lack thereof) and the no nap strategy was confirmed. The alternative is to keep her up at night till 10pm so we can hang out with her, which is appealing . . . but I would then never ever ever get anything done. Ever. So I will just continue to cherish our weekends and mornings. Now that we have ended the naps, she is going to bed without a peep, which has been so welcome.

No comments: